Thursday, February 20, 2014

Saying Goodbye



Goodbyes are hard. And what's even worse is missing someone after they're gone. We grow attached to people, we enjoy their company, and they can make a huge impact on our lives. Whether it's a pet you had to put down, or a friend who is moving away, missing someone can be really hard to deal with.
  In the past year I have had to say goodbye to a lot of good friends, and I struggled a lot with it. I'm ok now, but it took me a while before I was. I learned a few things, and here is what I can say to help you if you are missing someone.

#1 Be thankful.
  After saying goodbye to my friends, every time I thought about our adventures together I would get really sad and depressed, often times I would start to cry. But I couldn't help but to think about them because we shared so many good memories together, and thats something to be thankful for. Even though I would get sad when I recalled a memory or look at a photograph, I would still do it; Because even though they weren't with me anymore, I was thankful that they were at one point. I would much rather have had the time with them, no matter how short, than to never have had it at all. So instead of wishing back your time, be thankful that it ever happened in the first place.  

#2 Let go, but don't forget.
  Letting go was a big issue for me. I've always been one to dwell on the past, so I would always find myself wishing that I could rewind time and replay a certain part of my life again. But the thing is, we can't. The past is in the past, you can't change it, and you can't go back. Your life is still going on, and things are happening, so it's important to focus on the future instead. Find something that you are looking forward that is coming up and focus on that, and be thankful for the friends that you still do have in your life. But even though you are moving on, that doesn't mean that it's not ok to look back; That's what memories are for. But there is a time and a place for that, just make sure that the past isn't the only thing you think about.

#3 It takes time.
  This is probably the most important thing that I could say. It's going to take time before you can start smiling instead of crying, but that is ok. You're probably not going to get over it in a week, or even a month. You've heard it said that time heals all wounds, and it's true. It's ok if it takes a while. So just give it some time. 

In my experience these things have helped me, and I hope they can help you too! Let me know what you think or if you have any advice about something that has helped you when you were missing someone.

Thanks for reading!

~ Akila

1 comment:

  1. I have moved many times in my life. It is very hard and it does take time. Great post!

    ReplyDelete