Thursday, January 30, 2014

It's Never Enough

What is the one thing that all of us, if we were honest, want more of?

Dough. Bank. Green. Bread. Cash.

Money.


Everyone wants more money. From the richest of the rich to the poorest of the poor, no matter your age, race, gender, or religion, you want more money. Even your parents want you to have more money. Because money makes things happen. The only problem is...

You have to earn it. And that means taking a job.

And that's a great thing. My job is one of the greatest aspects of my life. Sure it can be a drag, but hey, I'm making bank!

Except... I'm not. Because quite frankly, money breeds more problems than it fixes.

An example: I make roughly 450 bucks a month, and I work about 15-20 hours a week. When I first got my job, I was ecstatic because I was loaded! I ate out all the time. I was ready to go for a night out with the crew. I was ready to take a young lady out to dinner.  Except I didn't have a car at the time, so I could do whatever I wanted...

As long as my Mom could get me there.

So, I got my license and my Dad lent me an old car.

Now, I spend all my money filling up for gas, so I can run errands for my Mom, drive my sister to work, and occasionally I get to go to the movies with the crew.. Also, I am now trying to save money so I can get a better car, so I can save on gas so I can keep more of my money.

Did I lose you there?

My overall point is simple: Money isn't always the answer. Money isn't happiness. In fact, money is really just a means to an end. The solution to troubles is to find the best end. And work for it.

You want to buy clothes? You want to have a car? You want to take that girl out?

Work for it. Yeah, a job is hard to come by and can be frustrating. But you will learn something about life. And lots of other things. So hang tight.

Meanwhile I will just be paying back my Mom the $130 bucks I owe her for my new car battery.

No comments:

Post a Comment